Saturday 4 October 2014

Rimmel Pre Tan Exfoliator & BB Sunshimmer



I'm not a massive fan of fake tan but every so often, usually when I'm getting a few limbs more out on show than they usually are, I will reach for it. The problem is I use it so little that there's absolutely no point in investing in the St Tropez I used to, since it was always out of date before I was even as much as a third of the way through the bottle. 

I came across the original Rimmel Sunshimmer in 'Fair Matte' a few years ago and it seemed to be the answer to my problems - it applied perfectly evenly when used with my tanning mitt and was the ideal colour to just give me some glow without adding masses of colour. Unfortunately the 'Fair' shade seems to have been discontinued and the lightest shade I can now buy is 'Light', which is darker than 'Fair' was. In the regular sun shimmer though 'Light' is a shade I can just about get away with, when used with a light hand... 

When this summer rolled around I decided to try the new Rimmel Sunshimmer Instant Tan + BB Cream and, long story short, I really wish I hadn't bothered. Maybe it's because of the BB Cream providing more coverage but 'Light' in this range is nowhere near light, you can compare it to my non tanned leg for guidance on just how ridiculously dark this product is - and that's one coat.

In terms of application I used my Hei-She tanning mitt as I'd use with any tanning product and it applied evenly - it's definitely a thicker consistency than the usual Sun Shimmer but I expected that with a BB version. It showed its full colour straight away as the other Sun Shimmer instant products have done, but other than the much darker colour I didn't really notice any BB properties to it, though maybe if I had a bruise or something on my leg I might have been in a better position to judge, I've never actually bothered putting it back on after this first go to see!

I had to properly rub at it in the shower to come off so it's not a case of apply water and rinse of - thankfully for those of us who live in the UK and will be pelted with rain as soon as we get out of a taxi on our way out - but it is definitely a wash off, one use and you're done product.

Overall it's not a bad product but the colour is way, way too dark for me, despite it being the lightest offering in the range. If you're looking for something quick on a night out and you're darker skinned than me you'll probably carry this off well and it's a great option for a one stop instant solution for last minute nights out when you've been cuddling under blankets with the central heating cranked up met days this Autumn. If you're at the paler end of the spectrum this is definitely one to give a miss.


As for the prey an exfoliator it's a good product for a reasonably price point, if you're looking for an exfoliator. For some reason I presumed the 'pre tan' but meant it was a new type of exfoliator that maybe wasn't so oil based that you could use in the shower before slapping on the tan, but it's not. Which is my own fault for chucking the bottle into my basket without reading anything. When you assume you make an ass out of u and me and all that. It's a traditional exfoliator with an oily consistency and which is quite gritty and greta at exfoliating the body, but you do still need to use it 24 hours in advance of tanning. For anyone on the hunt for a body exfoliator at a good price point then I definitely recommend it, and I love that it comes in a tube and not a tub (see my empties video here for a rant about tubes vs tubs!) but it's not anything new or any wonderful alternative to any other exfoliators on the market (or already sitting in your cupboards!)







1 comment:

  1. Hi! I also bought the instant tan BB in light matte this summer. I have pale skin as well and also found it a little too orange toned for my legs. I really agree that on an evening you could get away with it, but it is not that natural looking in the day. Also, I was reluctant to put it on whenever it threatened to rain because I found if water got anywhere near it,the colour runs.

    ReplyDelete