Monday 1 September 2014

Statement Eye and Statement Lip


Today's what's on my face post is worked around having a strong eye and a strong lip look and not coming out looking like a clown.

To avoid looking like a 5 year old gone ape in her mother's dressing room it's best to keep the eye colours not at the black end of the colour spectrum - here I've created a gold, green and brown look that is strong enough to make a statement without fighting the red lip for the most attention. I used a gold shadow from a Sephora palette I bought a few Christmases ago and placed that on the inner corner, any shimmery gold shade will work as it's just a tiny bit right on the inner corner, then swept the green shadow - Bella Pierre's Discoteque which is a green with gold chimer running through it, all over the lid and under the eye. I'm not a massive fan of mineral make up for the face but I enjoy using the powders on my eyes and they're a great go to for anyone with sensitive eyes like me who still wants colour choice and pigment pay off. I then used the Bella Pierre shadow in the shade Cocoa in the crease and swept it along under the join with the green/gold under the eye, all done using my Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush (set currently reduced on Feel Unique). So that my eyes didn't get lose amongst all the shadow I used my Mac eyeliner in the shade Mystery - a limited edition shade, but any forrest green eye liner would do, Mac's Tarnish looks similar judging by the website. To frame the eyes I used the Rimmel eyebrow pencil in the shade Hazel, and finished off with my Clinique High Impact Extreme Volume mascara.

Lip wise I used the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in the shade Hot Pepper. If I'm honest I'm not totally sold on this one, I love the same product in the shade Peach Club but the formulas of both feel completely different and this one is a lot wetter. Although it's not showing up massively in the photos it's quite a glossy finish on this one and just not what I'd expect from something called 'velvet'. It does last a really long time though and once it's set it doesn't move about the face despite the glossy finish so it's a good one if a glossy look is your preference, I'm just very loyal to the old matte red lip look.

The skin was definitely the background of this look - I used my MAC studio sculpt foundation, it has a dewy finish and is great for anyone with dry skin or for when you've gone on a holiday that's involved a long plane journey, but I'm not sure I'll be repurchasing when it eventually runs out. Concealer wise I went drugstore with the 17 Phwoarr paint, it's really similar to my favourite Mac Studio Finish concealer or the Benefit Boi-ing, so definitely worth a look for those of you on a budget who like some seriously heavy duty coverage.

I used the Kevyn Aucoin sculpting powder to try and create a little bit of definition to my round face using my beloved MAC 168 brush and blush wise I opted for Mac's Coppertone, an orangey copper that defines the face but won't fight for attention with the eyes and lips. I dusted the tops of my cheekbones with the Bourjois Java Rice Powder using the Real Techniques setting brush and that was me done!





2 comments:

  1. Love this look! Glamorous, but not over the top. That red lipstick is stunning on you! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete